Tuesday, March 23, 2010

pysanky

It is time to make pysanky again. I was taught this ancient craft by a Ukranian friend many years ago. It is an amazingly compelling activity. You concentrate on drawing on eggs for several hours with bees wax heated by candles.

These eggs are dyed with a wax-resist technique. Bees wax is heated in a stylus over a candle. You cover the area in wax which you want to remain that color, then put the egg in a dye.

I try to use free range eggs, as their shells are harder. Geese and duck eggs are good too. The eggs in the basket above were made over the last thirty years, some by my daughter and her cousins when they were little. The brown and yellow egg in the upper right corner was made by my Ukrainian friend's mother. She was born and raised in a small Ukrainian village, spent WWII in a DP camp, and lived for many years in a Ukrainian community in Baltimore.

-Kathy

2 comments:

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

They are beautiful! I always try and color Easter eggs but simply dunk them in colored water. These are a work of art ~ thanks for sharing how it's done!

Knitting Out Loud said...

Thank you MPKB! I loved your comment about the blue flocked deer on www.rainingsheep.com. We have an impressive set of antlers in the house which my husband found in the woods.