Monday, March 15, 2010

In bloom! Outside and In

I live in Maine, and we have had a blessedly mild winter (sorry D.C.!). Usually March is still winter here, often very snowy. My snowdrops are always up in March, and they are a cheering sight (in bad weather or good!).
Crocus and daffodils are coming up too. I can't tell you how amazing this is, just as amazing, I suppose, as all the snow was this winter to my mid-Atlantic friends.
These are small species crocus.

And here's the witch hazel! I cut some for the house, it has a wonderful lemony scent.


More daffodils poking up through the leaves.
And lastly, an Oriental poppy.
And below, the orchids are blooming nicely indoors:




A delicious spring!
- Kathy


9 comments:

Karen said...

I love garden strolls and the scope of doing so Net-wise is wonderful. Thank you for yours. I relate to the eastern side of this continent having spent more than forty years in Ontario. And I just emailed this post to friends in Toronto who also grow orchids.

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

Beautiful Spring Blooms! I was in Bar Harbor Maine one Summer probably 15 years ago - it's actually where I learned to knit my first sweater (at a LYS within walking distance of where we stayed). Of course, it was Lopi and unsuitable for my home climate - LOL

Knitting Out Loud said...

Thank you, Karen!
Mr Puffy's KB: We love Bar Harbor and are frequently there in the summer (my husband is a painter and has a gallery there). What a beautiful place in which to learn to knit!

Diana Troldahl said...

Lovely blossoms! I spotted our very first crocus under a maple tree in thh front yard today, I think Michigan is a little behind Maine this year.

Knitting Out Loud said...

Thank you Diana! My garden is a stone's throw from the ocean, and is always a little warmer in the spring, but a little colder in the fall.

Village Books said...

R & I are in Providence, Rhode Island, where we saw our first crocus! (WE LOVE Brown U.)

Knitting Out Loud said...

Hope you are enjoying spring in Providence! Friends of mine are in Moscow, where it is 7 degrees.

raining sheep said...

Oh yes indeed. At this time of the year, Calgary is quite often still cold and snowy, well, I went into our south facing back yard today and there is stuff coming up. I almost passed out from excitement. Of course, chances are we will get a nasty frost and all will die. Such is our cycle :)

Knitting Out Loud said...

Yes it is exciting! We may get some snow this coming week, but I don't care because it is 70 today! YAY!!!