Monday, September 27, 2010

Common Ground Fair 2010!

Yarn first (my husband took these photos and I am not sure whose yarn it is - I know it is sideways but am not sure how to turn it), isn't it lovely!

Second, a note to Anita Figueras (aka scifiknitter): there was a technical glitch and the Finger Lakes Fiber Arts Festival photos will go up next week. It was wonderful to meet you and your daughter! Thank you for stopping by our booth.

Last weekend was Maine's Common Ground Fair. This is the Maine Organic Farmers and Growers Association annual fair, and it attracts 60,000 people over the three days. It is a fantastic fair, a wonderful harvest and country craft celebration.

My husband came with me to help out at the Knitting Out Loud (and now also Cooking Out Loud!) booth, and he took photos for me.

Here's Debbie Bergman at the Purple Fleece booth (it was chilly Friday and Sunday and hot on Saturday, that's Maine weather for you). Debbie had her famous, gorgeous, hand-dyed yarns at her booth, and I believe she had sold out of spinning wheels by the end of the Fair. Spinning is big at this Fair.

Debbie is standing with Karen Jelenfy (Karen, of Village Books, is my booth buddy on Knitting Out Loud trips). Karen's husband Jeff Jelenfy did a blacksmithing demonstration at the Fair on Saturday.
Adorable goat cart!

This goat was responding to voice commands given by a woman walking ahead of it.


Donkeys
Ponies
Several years ago my husband and I almost bought a baby donkey at this fair, until we snapped back to our senses.
The lady driving the buggy for this draft horse competition is wearing 19th century dress.



I love vegetable gardens, and the demonstration gardens run by MOFGA are wonderful.

Bare back on their draft horses.





That very green stuff below is Japanese millet. If you are a Kurosawa fan you will remember that in the film Seven Samurai the villagers ate millet and gave their rice to the samurai.
Our dream is to someday have a hive or two of bees. We will get one of these top bar hive boxes from Gold Star Honeybees in Bath, Maine. It is the only way to go.

Organic vegetables for sale. We bought leeks and garlic.






Tomatoes growing inside one of their greenhouses.





Hewing timbers for timber-framed structure demonstration.
A hobbit house for sale!
Shorn alpaca.
The famous Wednesday Spinners of Maine.
Woodland crafts on display.
And lastly, here's a bow-making demonstration, using a shaving horse.
Many thanks to all of you who came by our booth, we had a great time, it was a wonderful fair!
-Kathy

2 comments:

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

You are such a lucky duck!!!! Such a fun place and interesting things to see. I love vegetables and have this Summer I discovered how much I enjoy fresh lima beans.

BTW, my dad used to keep a hive when I was young and the smell of the warm honey in the hive was AWESOME and I liked watching the bees land with all the pollen on their legs.

Knitting Out Loud said...

Fresh lima beans sound heavenly! We are too far north to grow them, I think. Must ask about them at our food co-op. Newly picked vegetables and fruit taste so much better than store-bought.

Love your childhood beekeeping memory!