Sunday, July 18, 2010

Books and gardens

I needed a post for today, so I ran outside to photograph my garden again. The thing is, I love my garden, and the season is very short here in Maine. But I also want to talk about books, because I was hugged by an author I admire today, Linda Greenlaw. I first became aware of her while reading the book The Perfect Storm by Sebastian Junger. The Perfect Storm is a true account of a recent marine disaster off the coast of Gloucester, Massachusetts. Linda Greenlaw was a captain of a fishing vessel mentioned in the book. She grew up on the Maine island of Isle au Haut, went to Bowdoin College, then became the captain of a fishing ship. The same summer I read The Perfect Storm, I also read the gripping (well both these books are gripping) Into Thin Air by John Krakauer, about a mountain climbing disaster on Mt Everest.
Linda Greenlaw is a fascinating person for many reasons. A ship captain! An author! And she also has written two murder mysteries and a cookbook. Definitely a woman to admire.

A friend of mine owns the delightful bookstore in Searsport, Maine, Left Bank Books, at which I fill in when needed. Today they co-hosted a book-signing with Linda Greenlaw at the Penobscot Marine Museum and needed me to mind the shop. I wouldn't be able to meet Linda Greenlaw!
I was to be at the bookstore and she at the Museum. Sadly, I settled down behind the cash register, directed folks across the street to the Museum, and began to read Linda's wonderful book about being a swordfish boat captain, The Hungry Ocean. Suddenly I looked up and there she was. "It's me!" she said. I jumped up, very excited, "I have to shake your hand." But when I came towards her she gave me a hug.
I was in heaven. Happy ending.
I came home to a delicious dinner cooked by my husband, and we watched two episodes of the HBO series The Ladies No. 1 Detective Agency, which is quite charming. It is filmed in Botswana. We had listened to the novels on audio and enjoyed them very much.
Lastly, getting back to gardens, my favorite garden writer is Vita-Sackville West, who made the famous Sissinghurst Castle Garden in England.




We're having a glorious summer here. Hope you are, too.
- Kathy

10 comments:

Tracy said...

BEAUTIFUL glimpses from your garden, Kathy! Very much I admire the gardening style of Vita Sackville-West too. Two summers ago we visited Sissinghurst for the first time--it was a magical dream come true! :o)

Knitting Out Loud said...

Thank you, Tracy. How wonderful that you saw Sissinghurst! I haven't seen it in person yet.

Village Books said...

Envy, Tracy! And envy, Kathy, because you met Linda Greenlaw! Wish I could have come but I was minding my own bookstore... Beautiful blog, as usual.

Knitting Out Loud said...

And a wonderful bookstore it is! Village Books in Washington, Maine specializes in knitting and fiber books, but they have wonderful used books in all subjects.

Knitting Out Loud said...

Tracy, I love the photos of Norway on your blog today!

Purple Fleece said...

I was at her talk and book signing yesterday at the museum and she was wonderful...she's so personable. But you got a HUG!

knithound brooklyn said...

Oh, your garden is so pretty. Maybe that's the antidote to the oppressive heat - a lovely garden to sit and admire.

Knitting Out Loud said...

Purple Fleece: I heard her first line was very funny.

Knithound: Yes, it is! Lots of trees cool things down.

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

You have a lovely garden! And what a cool story ~ a woman to admire indeed. I simply can't get my mind around how you can control/steer a boat in the water - LOL

I've read many of the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency stories ~ and love how she came up with her company's name - LOL

Knitting Out Loud said...

Mr Puffy's KB: Thank you! The steering wheel is connected to a rudder, I think?